Sunday, March 11, 2012

Vintage sewing machine. . .

I have a sewing machine. . .but I don't sew.

This was a $7 thrift store find, and it just kept calling my name. . . true story!


I mean, can you not see the beauty in this?

How many weathered hands have stitched warm quilts, baby clothes,
aprons, linen tablecloths, and petticoats?


I can almost hear the low humming of it now, in the days of yester-year. . .
And think about the lives that have been blessed by the hands that worked this machine.


Of course, it didn't look like this at first. . .but I like to envision one's
potential, searching for it's inner beauty...
 
 

And this is what I saw. . .



Most things I finish to sell. . .but some things I just can't bear to part with.
This lovely little friend has found it's place in my heart. . .

and in my home :)

She greets all our guests in the front entryway. . .with a smile of course :)

"And in the end it's not the years
in your life that count.
It's the life in your years."
                     -Abraham Lincoln
     


10 comments:

  1. That particular sewing machine is like the one my Mom bought in 1955 or sew, and had until she passed last year. She still had the original bill of sale (her brother co-signed for the loan, which I am sure my father did not know!) She replaced the motor once, and sewed almost all of my dresses, as well as my sister's, and her own. She was an accomplished seamstress, and those pictures brought back more than a few memories. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so sweet and special Cynthia! What a precious memory!

      Delete
  2. Love how this turned out.Makes a wonderful table.And such a deal too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful transformation! I totally understand not wanting to part with it. Over the years, I've had to really fight the urge to keep almost everything I've ever transformed. I think it is because a part of us is in each piece we work on. ;)

    Thanks for linking your creative talents to Time Travel Thursday again this week!

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving the top natural is so pretty with the white base--I have an old sewing table did the same with (aqua base and natural top)--makes a nice height for a table. Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. I have my mother's olden Singer and want to paint it. I would love to know the steps you used here. I want mine to look JUST LIKE YOURS....:))

    I don't generally leave comments on blogs with Word Verification on but I wanted you to know how much I like your sewing machine redo...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes the perfect little side table. You did such a fantastic job finishing it, I don't blame you for keeping it. Looks adorable with that chair too! Thanks for linking up to cowgirl up.
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what beautiful pictures and such fabulous furniture. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you did with the sewing machine table. I have an old sewing machine in our barn that I haven't figured out how I want to use yet. This is such a cute idea!

    Have a lovely week!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Followed over from Funky Junk - love what you did with this and you are right these are often in the back of the thrift shop - cheap and gathering dust!

    ReplyDelete